What Happens if My License Gets Suspended in Another State?

We receive many calls from New York drivers wanting to know if their license can get suspended for receiving out-of-state traffic tickets. Similarly, we also get calls from out-of-state drivers receiving New York traffic tickets wanting to know if their home state will suspend their license.

To save you the time and hassle, we have researched and compiled the most relevant information for you. Whether you just want to know what happens if your license gets suspended in another state or if it is possible for another state to suspend your driver’s license, this information should help clarify things for you.

Out-of-State Drivers

out of state drivers, New York If you are an out-of-state driver (i.e. have a driver’s license from a state other than New York), and you commit a traffic violation or series of traffic violations in New York that would be significant enough to suspend a New York driver’s license, NY can take away your ability to drive in their state.

For example, if you are an out-of-state driver and plead guilty to or are convicted of traffic violations totaling 11 points or more, you will automatically lose the right to drive in New York. 11 points might seem like a lot, but if you plead guilty to or are convicted of driving 41 mph over the speed limit, you already earned 11 points!

Additionally, if you are convicted of driving 21 mph over the limit even just twice in a one year span, New York will take away your ability to drive there. In other words, your out-of-state license will not officially be suspended. However, you will not be allowed to drive in New York. If you choose to drive in NY anyway, you can get convicted of Aggravated Unlicensed Operation (AUO), a crime that you can go to jail for.

If you happen to commute to the city every day for work from New Jersey, Connecticut, or any other state, this punishment can put an end to your job.

Aside from being barred from driving in New York, depending on the offense you commit, your out-of-state driver’s license could be suspended entirely.

Committing serious offenses like vehicular crimes and other major traffic violations outside of your home state can lead to a suspended license. Remember, in this case, your entire license will be suspended, not merely your ability to drive in one state.

New York License Holders

If you are a New York license holder and get ticketed outside of New York, points will rarely be assessed against your license.

Remember, according to the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles, “The NYSDMV does not record out-of-state violations committed by NYS drivers in other jurisdictions. The exceptions are alcohol-related violations, drug-related violations, and moving violations committed in Quebec or Ontario.”

However, if the offense you commit is serious enough to cause a suspension in the state you are driving in, New York may very well suspend your license too.

What happens is (usually) as follows:

  • You get pulled over in another state for a vehicle and traffic violation like reckless driving and fleeing the scene of an accident, DUI/DWI, speeding 41 over, or some other serious traffic offense
  • Then, you receive a traffic ticket in that state for the offense
  • You either pled guilty or were convicted
  • That state suspended your driving privileges there
  • Now, that state petitions New York to suspend your license due to the severity of the offense or set of offenses
  • New York DMV decides whether to suspend your license or not 

In such an instance, it really can go either way and there is no set rule. However, if the offense you committed involved personal injury or death coupled with really reckless activity, you can be fairly sure New York will suspend your license as well.

Who Should You Contact?

If you recently received a New York traffic ticket or had your license suspended, contact The Rosenblum Law Firm. Our team of NY traffic ticket lawyers will do all they can to help you get the results you are looking for. Call us today at 888-883-5529.


16 thoughts on “What Happens if My License Gets Suspended in Another State?

  1. brian

    my PA license, or “privilege to drive” has been suspended in new york state.
    Upon some research, i have learned Pennsylvania will not suspend my license.
    two questions:
    – how quickly can i obtain “conditional privileges” in New York, as i do drive here sometimes for work? Must I wait for the information to be processed through the PA DMV?
    – how will new jersey view this suspension? will they look to the NY-suspended or the the PA-valid points of fact?

    1. admin Post author

      Brian – in order to assist you, we need more information. You may contact us for a free consultation at 888-883-5529.

  2. Steve

    My license is suspended do to an insurance lapse on a vehicle i sold. Also was givin a third degree suspended license ticket due to being unaware my license was suspended. Now i have court in a few days and i need to get to work my only option is drive there, its not even public transit accessible, but my license is currently suspeded. What are my options?

    1. admin Post author

      Steve – absoluteley do not drive to court. You may contact the court to determine whether they have any suggestions for you.

    1. admin Post author

      If you have received 16 points on your license within a 18 month period in NY, your license can not be in good standing. I suggest you obtain your NY drivers abstract.

  3. Donald

    If my Nys license privilege is revoked, as in I sent in my application and did everything required, to the driver responsibility, and was denied. I plan on moving to Florida, can I still get a license in florida?

    1. admin Post author

      Donald – license suspension information is shared among the states. I suggest you determine how to resolve the suspension in NY.

  4. James Andrews

    If my license ‘were” to get revoked in NY is there another state I can go to get a valid drivers license? assuming I had to show residency in that sate or not is the questions as well as would I be allowed to actually drive in NY at all if I was able to obtain an out of state license.? please advise. thank you

  5. Lisa

    I am a CT resident and got 3 speeding tickets within 18 months, paid them plus the additional fees, and have now had my ny privileges suspended for 6 months starting october 1st. If this happens I will lose my job. I work a sales territory that includes ny, nj, and pa- all of which requires driving in ny. I also have differing hours depending on events worked. What can be done?

    1. admin Post author

      Lisa – I strongly suggest you contact us to discuss your case in further detail. There are options available to address your situation.

    1. admin Post author

      States honor suspensions issued in their sister states – and will likely suspended your license. I suggest you resolve the issue in NY.

  6. iulian

    I have an out of NM driver license and my insurance company is saying the license is suspended in NY state? Years ago I got 11 points in court for speeding but i payed the fees in court. Why is my license suspended?

    1. admin Post author

      You need to contact the NY DMV to determine where the issue lies. It is possible you have not payed the driver responsibility assessment charge.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *